Sunday, April 12, 2009

Meet my Body Double!



OK, the news is out. The Obamas are getting a puppy named Bo, a Portuguese Water Dog who is a gift from Ted Kennedy. Or so it would seem.

The Secret Service was obviously worried about my safety since the Most Handsome First Dog ever would clearly be a target for pirates, terrorists, and other ne'er do wells. So Bo will be the public face of the first dog while I will be instrumental behind the scenes:

In a statement, the Kennedys said: "We couldn't be happier to see the joy that Bo is bringing to Malia and Sasha. We love our Portuguese Water Dogs and know that the girls -- and their parents -- will love theirs too."

The choice of a Portie raised one complication. The Obamas have long said they wanted a rescue dog. But the carefully bred PWDs almost never end up in shelters. Bo had been living with another family, but it wasn't a good fit, so the Kennedys acquired him for the Obamas.

As for the rescue pledge, the Obamas came up with a solution intended to lend a serious symbolic note: They're going to make a donation to the D.C. Humane Society.

Bo will be introduced on Tuesday--I can't wait!

6 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I wonder what his khode name will be fur the Sekhret Service to use?

Hmmmm - maybe he'll be T-Wally?

Hoppy Sunday!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Sophie Brador said...

Walllllllllllly! I can' wait for Tuesday. I know you will totes be the behind the scenes beagle, even though you're a corgador. I just know those girls will be loving all over you and then have to fake it for that Bo dog. Don't worry babe. I'm there for you.

xo
SB

Gus said...

"They also serve who only stand and wait."

John Milton

Jake of Florida said...

Wally,

We're so glad you'll be protected and can enjoy the fun behind the scenes, so to speak!!!

Everytime we see your double, we'll smile, knowing the secret behind the facade!!

You're the best1!!

Jake and Just Harry

Moose said...

Getting a dog from a home where it was not working out counts as rescue in my book! If he was not wanted in that home he would have ended up in a breed rescue most likely and those exist to keep dogs out of shelters so I think that counts as rescuing! PWDs probably don't end up in shelters b/c they are not over bred though so I hope their picking a PWD does not lead to trouble for the porties... I hear that is what happened to goldens after Ford (I think) got one. Anywho... Bo is just breaking them in for you, we all know you are the first dog!

wally said...

Moose--

I would not say no to a dog from Ted Kennedy! I think he really wanted to do this for their family and I think that's nice.

wally t.